Chapter:Chapter 01 – What is an Operating System and Why is it Important?
Subsection: 02. What is OS/2 Warp?
Topic: Warp Features
Date Composed: 10-29-96 12:15:24 PM Date Modified: 10-29-96 12:16:18 PM
OS/2 Warp 4 has a large number of powerful features, many of which cannot be found in any other operating system.
- Crash Protection for business-critical applications.
- True preemptive multitasking with multithreading for user productivity and fuller, more efficient use of expensive computer resources.
- Graphical User Interface which is highly configurable for maximum ease of use and flexibility.
- WarpCenter for easy access to important functions.
- Run most DOS and Windows 3.1 applications along with true OS/2 applications.
- Data can be freely exchanged between DOS, Windows, and OS/2 programs – without sacrificing system stability.
- Connect to anything, anywhere with a universal network client which allows simultaneous connectivity to LAN Server, Warp Server, Windows NT Server, Novell Netware, Netware Directory Services, PCLAN Program, IPX-SPX, LANtastic for DOS or OS/2, Warp Connect, Windows NT Workstation, Windows 95, Windows for Workgroups, TCP/IP (including DHCP, DDNS, FTP, TFTP, Telnet, SLIP, PPP, SMTP, and SNMP), SNA, NetBIOS.
- Java is built into Warp 4 so you need no additional software to run powerful and easy Java applications locally or right from the World Wide Web.
- VoiceType speech recognition makes Warp 4 the only operating system in the world to allow voice navigation and dictation with no additional software.
- WarpGuides to provide intelligent self-configurable guidance for common tasks. Ideal for new users or users new to OS/2.
- Internet aware desktop allows one-click access to your favorite web sites.
- TME 10 Netfinity (SystemView) for exceptional systems management, including DMI support.
- Remote Access Services (LAN Distance) for remote access capabilities which allow you to access your network from home or the road. Remote Access Services can also allow ad hoc WAN configuration for temporary or emergency use.
- Mobile Office Services allows the Road Warrior to keep files synchronized with the office.
In addition, many extra programs are provided free, either in the BonusPak or separately.
- Lotus Notes Mail
- IBM Works gives you a set of full function applications for word processing, spreadsheets, charting, data filing, and report writing.
- FaxWorks Lite allows you to receive and send faxes. The Warp 4 BonusPak version also includes an answering machine capability.
- CompuServe Information Manager for OS/2.
- HyperACESS Lite for OS/2 gives you access to the world of electronic BBS services.
- AasPSP is an on-line help desk with answers to many requently asked questions.
Many large corporations and organizations have standardized on OS/2 because it is robust, full-featured, and highly reliable. The next section tells you who is using OS/2 Warp and why.